What if my human rights are violated?

The Swedish state is responsible for implementing its international commitments in the area of human rights in national legislation. Human rights are therefore written into our Swedish laws. In the event of a violation of human rights, it is primarily the responsibility of the state in question to make sure that the individual receives redress.

In Sweden, an individual who believes that the state has violated his or her rights can turn to either the police, a prosecutor, the courts or the Equality Ombudsman, the Parliamentary Ombudsmen (the Ombudsmen for Justice, JO) or the Office of the Chancellor of Justice (JK), depending on the nature of the matter.

Individuals who have attempted to obtain redress in Sweden by using the options available to appeal the decisions of authorities and courts, can file a complaint with the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. The complaint must refer to a violation that the applicant has personally suffered and it must refer to a right set out in the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms or in one of its additional protocols. The complaint cannot be directed against an individual person or organisation, but must be directed against a state and must refer to an issue for which the state can be held accountable.

You can read more about how to get your rights met by downloading the book (Swedish only) "Vägar till rättigheter":  http://www.do.se/sv/Om-DO/Vagar-till-rattigheter/